About the Sugar Lake Association
Help protect and preserve the beauty of Sugar Lake
The Sugar Lake Association (SLA) was formed in 1972 and is a tax-exempt organization with members made up of residents and friends of Sugar Lake. The purpose of the SLA is to:
- Protect, Preserve, Maintain and Improve the Sugar Lake environment. SLA is a member of Minnesota Waters which engages citizens, local and state policymakers and other partners in the protection and restoration of Minnesota lakes and rivers. As part of the SLA, many volunteer groups and activities have been formed to improve lake quality and make Sugar Lake a good place to live, work and play.
- Sugar Lake Newsletter and Flash News Alerts- from April to October, a color newsletter is published and emailed to all members. Flash news alerts via email are also a popular way for members to stay current on what is happening at Sugar Lake.
- Annual Picnic - each year all SLA members and their
families are invited to the SLA picnic.This free event has games for the kids, door
prizes, food and lots of opportunities to socialize with your Sugar Lake
- Water Monitoring - since 1980 SLA has monitored the
quality and clarity of the lake.
- Fish Traps - we have constructed and installed fish traps
to help keep rough fish out of Sugar Lake.
- Membership Directory - every two years a directory
containing member contact information, area information and ads from local
businesses is published and distributed to all SLA members. A new 2017-2018 SLA Directory will be available at the 2017 picnic. Please return your membership renewal form by June 1 to ensure the information in the directory is accurate.
- Web Site - The website provides information on SLA activities, opportunities to participate in lake improvement projects and links to current government and DNR regulations.
- Lake Improvement Projects- Among the Lake Improvement
Projects that the SLA has undertaken are buffer strips, shoreline plantings and
other solutions protecting the lake from excess stormwater runoff.
- Invasive Aquatic Plant Control - active programs are in
place to track and treat Eurasian watermilfoil and curly-leaf
pondweed, Zebra Mussels.
- Other Activities include:the Fishing Contest, Diane's Lights Night,
Spring Plant Exchange, Golf Tournament, Sugar Lake 5K, Beer & Wine Tasting Fundraiser.
Members pay annual dues, currently $50. Many members also "buy an acre" which is a great way to support and maintain Sugar Lake. SLA also conducts fund raising activities such as the picnic raffle, the golf tournament and the sale of Sugar Lake apparel. Charitable gifts (tax deductible) to SLA help further our goals of improving Sugar Lake. Members can include SLA as a part of their estate plan for gifts in the future.
Download a Membership Form.